Thursday, April 07, 2011

Vancouver Water Safe... for now...

I don't remember when I first heard that fluoride was bad for your health. But it's not something we talk about often in Vancouver, at least not for our younger generation.

But once upon a time, Vancouver was close to fluoridate its water supplies (like the rest of Canada). Then I started to read on why some people are for and against it.

Mostly, the "for" people are saying that it's good for preventing cavities (which has been proven). But then the "against" people are saying that's not the debate. The debate is that it's a toxin that's more poisonous than lead.

Lead? That's scary.

I guess it's also scary to know that fluoride is a poisonous by-product of manufacturing plants. And that many scientists (like the one in this anti-fluoride video shows).

The video says that some countries fluoridate (mostly US, Canada... except Vancouver for now, and Australia). But other countries like most of Europe doesn't fluoridate.

So what does this have to do with us? I'm just considering throwing out my toothpastes... but are there any that's not fluoridated?

Also what happens when I travel in Canada? I thought the water was safe and good for drinking, but I might have to budget in for bottled (distilled water) instead now.

I just don't like the fact that our politicians are the ones to decide if our population should be "treated" or not. I think it's not something that I trust them to do (they are not scientists, they are not researchers on the subject of fluoride, dentistry or more importantly toxicology).

It makes me feel like we don't have control over these basic matters of personal health anymore and that our government is like "Big Brother" of 1984. I don't know why they would need to fluorinate the water when our toothpastes and most products like that already contain the product!

Also, why add it to DRINKING water??? I know that I for one I just drink water and I don't gargle it in my mouth for the fluoride to kill all the caries! Isn't that what mouthwash (another controversial product) is for?

I'm just glad I live in Vancouver right now. But this really does restrict ones movement within the country doesn't it? And I didn't even mention all the strange re-licensing for cars and things that it involves!

2 comments:

St3Fin said...

Scary, I didn't know fluoride is more toxic than lead. Hopefully, just brushing our teeth doesn't increase the fluoride in our bodies as we are supposed to spit the toothpaste out...unless you've been swallowing it this whole time, Doris! How many times do I have to tell you, toothpaste is not for eating! lol jk

Doris said...

hahaha... i dunno... like maybe only three times?

But it's so delicious! I can't stop eating toothpaste.

Seriously though, it gets into the food and drinks I think too... so it accumulates in the body.