Saturday, March 19, 2011

No Apologies. No Cells for Lend

Today when I was walking my dog, I was approached by a guy in his late teens/early twenties asking to borrow my phone.

As I was approaching, he looks kind of shady already but that could just be because he's dressed in baggy jeans and a sweatshirt and not very professional.

In any case. I didn't have my phone so my automatic answer was. Sorry dude, walking the dog here and don't have my phone. He looked a bit annoyed and so I suggested maybe he borrow the phone from the local community police (because they are just around the corner and they have phones to use for free).

He immediately walked faster away and was like mumbling something so I asked him what he said (I felt confrontational anyway). He repeated that he's waiting for a friend and needs to call him.

I walked away. Dog was walked and when I got home I remember that my friend had her new phone stolen months ago when she lent it to a young guy who needed to "call his mom" but had instead ran off with it. I became kind of suspicious that the guy waiting for his friend could remember his phone number (who in the world these days remember their friend's phone number anyway? I know I sure don't. Also, it was suspicious that he didn't use a pay phone or borrow one from the coffee shop that was a block away.

So I searched the internet and I found that there are many scams people do with borrowed cell phones (you can check it out here). I guess that means that next time someone wants to borrow my phone, I'll have to say no, even if it means that I've just been talking on it and they see that I have one. Because I don't care if they run away with my crappy old phone, I just don't want to get signed up to some spam that will waste all my airtime!

Too bad you just can't trust people these days. Oh well, I guess the thing to take away here is that you should never forget to bring your phone with you because the chances that people will risk lending you a phone should be close to zero, which is understandable I guess.

2 comments:

St3Fin said...

omgosh yea be careful! A lot of scammers out there. I had one person ask to use my cell phone as well a while back, on the skyrain, I still said no...

Doris said...

That's smart. It's too bad you can't trust people these days.