Monday, February 21, 2011

Following Your Passion

Lately it seems like all my art instructors were talking about following your passion. Of course that makes sense. That is what they actually chose to do with their lives. They are the brave ones. They are the ones who didn't let other people's "art will never make you a living" get in their way.

There are so many times when people get scared. And they get scared into taking those jobs that they don't like because it's secure or it's OK. I've been there before. It's not like the job was actually horrible (nothing about having to kill any animals). But it wasn't anything that I really wanted to do. It seems like a lot of the people I worked with also had other things they rather do as well. But instead of doing those things, they were like me, stuck in this boring job day in and day out. Maybe because of this fear of not having work and money. Or maybe it's the fear of being regarded as one of the crazy folks chasing a dream for the rest of their lives.


I am a bit confused as to where I stand right now. On one part, I'm looking for a job. On the other part, I am doing what I love during my free time now. All I know is I keep getting this nagging voice that tells me to "get a job" or that "the pressure is on". Of course if this voice lasted for more than 10 minutes then I would go mental. Usually now I find it easier to ground my thoughts again. I don't know if it's the practice of all the art I've been doing, which requires me to concentrate more than ever like meditation or if it's because I'm just getting better at redirecting my thoughts these days.

So where does everyone else stand on this point in life? Are you doing anything you are passionate about? Do you find them for yourself during your busy work days to do what you love? Or have you already made your career about your passion?

No comments: