Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Welding Rhymes with Melting. Sort of.

Today I tried welding both with the MIG and with the oxy-acetylene welder. And I must say. It's not as easy as those guys make it look on TV.

I did pretty well even though I was sort of afraid. Mostly I am afraid of flames, fire and heat. So I really do think that welding is like therapy for me. But it's strange because part of me is like a moth because it's totally attracted to flames too. I'm sure someone can psychoanalyze me real good just from that but really, I think a lot of us have that. There's something we're kinda afraid of but also attracted to at the same time. For me, it's fire and flames. For someone else it might be heights and bungee jumping.

It feels good to do something new and something that you're not quite certain that you're capable of doing. It's a good feeling and I get this high from it. It could also be all the fumes in the metal shop. But I like to just think that it's the thrill of doing something that I was afraid of, and coming back out the other end unharmed.

Well, I guess I won't be sleeping until late tonight. I'm certainly going to ride this high feeling for a bit longer because as I'm getting older, I feel that I don't have this feeling nearly as much as when I was younger! I can see why they say some people keep doing new things to stay young because I think this is the feeling of youth.

No comments: