Thursday, January 20, 2011

Not Your Typical Birthday Lunch

For those of you who don't know. I volunteer at a place where people with disabilities live and call their home. I go in once in a while to do really fun things with them or do exercises or whatever. Easy stuff.
Today was one of my regular's birthday... really, I consider her a friend. So we went out to have lunch. And we invited another person to come along. The restaurant isn't very far away maybe 10 minutes walking distance away from the residence. But getting everything ready (like getting dressed in hats, gloves, toques and jackets) and waiting to take the bus and finally getting there took at least an hour. Being at the restaurant took another hour. And coming home was another hour or so, mostly waiting for the bus this time.
I had a great time at lunch and she had lots of fun. But it makes me appreciate the things I take for granted, like going out to grab a bite to eat with friends without having to really think about it or getting organized to make it happen. All I have to do is get dressed, jump on the bus and go. But for someone like my friend who needs help with things, you have to ask to see if anyone will go with you. Otherwise, it isn't very safe (or you won't feel very safe). And then you have to get helped getting yourself all ready to go. Plus you have to wait for a bus that has a lift and an area like that, and then you have to think about where you're going and if they have ramps or aisle that are wide enough to fit you. It's so much more complicated to do things. and I think God (or the Universe, or whoever I should thank).
I also wanted to thank one of the bus drivers that helped without even being asked. To the other bus driver who assumed because I was traveling with my friends on wheelchair that I know how to work the stuff, shame on you, and do your job next time!

No comments: