Monday, January 31, 2011

Pork Chops

Pork chops are awesome and delicious. So I went to Superstore to get some "anti-biotic free" ones. I'm not sure if it's some kind of gimmicky advertisement or what-not. But they were priced right so I got them.

Now the problem is, I have no idea how to cook them. I looked online first. And I found several sites just saying cook it at medium-high for however many minutes on one side then flip it and cook again on the other side and cook again at however many minutes. Sounds simple enough.

So I started doing that but then I saw underneath the label of the pork-chop packaging that you need to cook it to 140 Fahrenheit.

Panic! The stove is on, the pan is hot, and the chops are a sizzling. Now I find this info?

Ok, calm down, Doris. Calm down, I told myself.

So I turned the heat down a bit and went rummaging for a meat thermometer. Which is never found in the first place you look!

Anyway, I stuck the thermometer in and waited. And waited and waited. What the hell.

It stopped at 120F and just wouldn't budge. Ok... I thought, while holding it up with one hand and trying not to get splashed by the fat. I'll do this again in another spot. Maybe it's just the spot I have chosen.

So I did it again and by now the time is like double what the instructions online was. I'm getting pretty tired of holding that thermometer (still at 120F).

I have to say I'm pretty upset at this point and just decided to eat the chops. How I used to do anything was to see if it bleeds or not. And I haven't died so far.

I'm going to take the risk.

No comments: